Budućnost baterija?

Lucky

Krajnje zanimljiv intervju za sve koji se kao ja interesuju okolo baterija i problema sa trajanjem smartphone-ova. Jedan quote:

In a way, the smartphone delivers more than what you'll ever be able to use, because you'll be limited by the battery.

Is there anything else that you'd like to share?

I believe that the only way we'll be able to get to a world where we have a more standardized lithium-ion smartphone or phone battery is if we can find a way to get device manufacturers and battery manufacturers together and stop seeing the battery and cavity size as some type of competitive advantage the way people were seeing the cables, and now everybody has moved to micro-USB. Today, wrongly, device manufacturers believe that, well, they'll do their own little battery, they'll have a special cavity and it'll give them some type of advantage. I do not see what advantage it gives them, I don't see any value in that.

Maybe there was an advantage four years ago, when, still, there was some kind of a competition between who has the slimmest phone, etc., but as we are moving more and more towards some level of a similar look, because ultimately if you want to have a tactile screen and all these apps, [looking at his phone] this is probably the minimum size that you have to go for, so I believe that somehow, four or five years ago, there was more justification for a device manufacturer to look at the size and the cavity and the battery as an afterthought. Once you design the optimal phone, the most attractive phone, okay, here's the space left for the battery. Today, I think that the benefits of having a better battery will largely offset keeping your cards close to your chest and not revealing the size of the battery that you're going to need. That's why I think that the time is ripe to get into some level of standardization on the lithium-ion batteries.

What do you see for the future of the battery industry in general?

The battery industry, in my mind, will continue to be an extremely important industry for the consumer. Today in an American household you have 39 to 40 devices on average, using a battery. It is cradle to grave, from the baby monitor to the hearing aid, and it is from the poorest consumer that has a flashlight when the lights are off or the grid doesn't work, to the most rich and device-rich consumer who has maybe up to 70 to 80 battery devices. So the battery industry is playing an incredible role in the life of every consumer and that's why I think that this is an industry that is extremely relevant and important with obviously a bright future if we're able to continue delivering on the requirements and the changing consumer needs.

Are you in talks with any manufacturers to standardize battery types in devices like cellphones and digital cameras?

We are not, today, in talks to do this, but it is a wonderful question. It actually is so relevant because, when I asked, as I've mentioned that I'm not an expert on batteries, but I am an expert on consumers based on my 26 to 27 years of work with Procter & Gamble. When I said 'Hey guys, the consumer needs a better battery in their phones and smartphones.' Nobody told me 'Oh, it's impossible.' The first answer was not that it's impossible but 'Well, it's so complicated and so unpredictable.' I said 'What do you mean, complicated and unpredictable?' Well, the answer was 'Everyday, there are new smartphones and every single phone comes with different dimensions, different cavities and different requirements, so we can't proactively develop a solution, we almost reactively look at what the manufacturers come up with and that means that by the time we have then developed a solution for one manufacturer, that phone is already obsolete and they come up with something new.'

Ceo poduži intervju je ovde - http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/16/duracell-president-stassi-anastassov/