R.I.P. Darryl Pandy aka Farley Jackmaster Funk :(

69fe78446c890576263dc762460b71ba_XL.jpg

Jebena legenda je preminula :(

A still from the "Love Can't Turn Around" video

The house music of Chicago, led by producers and DJs, has long had a tendency to feature the greatest vocals of any genre yet not make stars of its singers. And for most of his working life, Darryl Pandy, who died yesterday (age uncertain) was not the star his huge presence and elemental, gospel-schooled voice warranted – instead working the club circuit and soul revival shows, and featuring on dance tracks scattered across dozens of 12” singles on many labels worldwide.

However Pandy did have one moment of glorious exposure to the mainstream, one which will ensure his immortality, and which also created one of the greatest musical televisual moments in history.

'His vocal that veered from manly roar to little-girl squeal was like nothing in pop before or since'

Other generations may talk about seeing the Sex Pistols or David Bowie for the first time, but for a particular generation, the sight of him performing the vocals for Farley “Jackmaster” Funk's “Love Can't Turn Around” on Top Of The Pops in 1986 was life-changing. It was Jackmaster Funk who posted the news of Pandy's death yesterday.

For some this was the beginning of the dance music revolution that would define the years to come. Aged only 12, I wasn't quite able to grasp the musical brilliance of house music's first ever hit (although my gosh, I would appreciate it later when I discovered clubbing), but I was certainly bowled over by the performance. By this time, the sight of sexually ambiguous men had been rendered normal by Boy George and banal by Simon Le Bon – but here was something altogether wilder, stranger and more disquieting.

This man-mountain in satin shirt and bizarre hairdo prancing, leaping and rolling on the floor while delivering a vocal that veered from manly roar to little-girl squeal was like nothing that has been seen in pop before or since. It certainly opened my mind to the possibilities of pop performance, and a lot of other viewers' to boot.

Chicago's 5 Magazine's obituary has streaming audio of some of his best recordings, but it is this Top Of The Pops performance that still stands as his great memorial for UK music fans.

Watch Darryl Pandy perform "Love Can't Turn Around" on Top Of The Pops:

Edited by Vlad-_-b

Got some minuses for free?

toliko je velika legenda da ti niko nije odgovorio na topic 2 dana :tf:

03:34 ( MiGsa ) da budem iskren

03:35 ( MiGsa ) nagledao sam se ovde vishe kurcheva nego pichki

22:05 (Ivan_tm) Ozbiljno, tvoj i Cokin sam upamtio odmah

13:43 ( darko ) ja sam puco iz njegove vazdushare

[16:42:19] Miša says: pojavio mi se patrijarh pavle u ppl u may know

[21:00] <vudu> jebacemo svi

ne podsmevam se, nego totalno nepotreban topic

03:34 ( MiGsa ) da budem iskren

03:35 ( MiGsa ) nagledao sam se ovde vishe kurcheva nego pichki

22:05 (Ivan_tm) Ozbiljno, tvoj i Cokin sam upamtio odmah

13:43 ( darko ) ja sam puco iz njegove vazdushare

[16:42:19] Miša says: pojavio mi se patrijarh pavle u ppl u may know

[21:00] <vudu> jebacemo svi

Da ne budem zloban: Oduševljen sam činjenicom da iz ovog teksta proizilazi da Darryl Pandy uopšte nije "aka" Farley Jackmaster Funk, pošto su to evidentno dve potpuno različite osobe.

Jedino ako gospodin Jackmaster nije vaskrsao kako bi brzojavio o sopstvenom odlasku u večna lovišta? [:0]

Lyesmith kept his orange-blond hair pretty much shaved. You could see the lines of his skull. "Tell you what, though. This country started going to bell when they stopped hanging folks. No gallows dirt. No gallows deals."